Tuesday, February 23, 2010

10 Minutes of Excellence

What is excellence? It's been a hot word in creative circles for a long time. Many creators and producers quip that excellence is a personal core value. But what is excellence? Is it a word, like "awesome" that has been overused to such a degree that it has lost its meaning?

Dictionary.com defines excellence: "to surpass others or be superior in some respect or area; do extremely well" That doesn't really help me that much.

In creative circles, I don't completely agree with the concept that to be excellent means that you must be superior in some respect or area. That means that nothing that comes in second can, by definition, be excellent. Are the actors nominated for Oscars all excellent, or just the person who wins. Does my 11 year-old daughter have to be superior to all the other 1st-year violists to be excellent at her skill level and experience?

Instead of defining excellence in terms of how you compare with everyone else in the world, I believe that we should define excellence in a much more personal way. There are, in fact, degrees, of excellence. What rises to the level of excellence for me now is much higher than 5, 10, 15 years ago. Excellence is much more of a personal journey than it is a competition.

This post is called "10 Minutes of Excellence" because I am in the middle of a 10-minute project. We were three days away from our first rehearsal. Debbie Durso, our drama productions director and I had a discussion about this project. In the end, we both agreed that we should go back to the drawing board and have a scratch track recording ready for rehearsal. Now, in all honesty, our original concept was fine; it was good enough; no one in the seats would have known the difference. But I knew in my heart that it would not be excellent.

I spent the whole evening rearranging songs and rewriting lyrics. The next morning, I showed it to Debbie and we decided on a few edits. Then, I spent some hours recording a 10-minute rehearsal track in time for rehearsal. We made the deadline, but my work had just begun. The piano track would only cover for rehearsals, I had to go back to he beginning and produce a final orchestrated track for the performances. Again, I could technically throw something together and get close enough. How many people would truly know the difference?

Producing this performance track is time consuming. I estimate that it takes me about 2-3 hours for every 30 seconds of finished music. As I write this, I'm at time stamp 5:05 in the project. Why work this hard? One word: excellence.

Aaron

2 comments:

  1. If only more people could grasp and live that truth...our world would be much different that it is today!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Where does the line for excellence end and perfectionism begin?

    ReplyDelete